Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    harpourj
    Participant

Hi

Love you App and been using for a year or so for remote area travel in Australia – signed up for the Beta to see what’s coming.

Been searching for a sensible fuel tracking & range management App for sometime – never found one that wasn’t full of unnecessary “numbers bloat” (way too much data present to be actually useful) so ended up building a standalone device that did exactly what I needed – I am a software engineer by trade.

It would be great though to be able to incorporate the same simple functionality into the DMD2 app to manage fuel efficiency & range – which is really one of the primary things I care about in remote area motorcycle travel where fuel can be many 100’s of kilometers away. This is targeted for those who do not have fuel computers or sensors inbuilt on the motorcycles and like me need to open the cap wriggle the bike about and peer into the tank so see what’s going on.

Use Case Definitions (Must have):

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to pre-configure the fuel capacity of my motorcycle so that I can do fuel efficiency and range calculations

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to enter how much fuel I used since I last filled up so that I can keep a track of my fuel consumption

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to track on a trip meter how far I have traveled used since I last filled up so that I can keep a track of my fuel consumption and have that trip distance displayed on the primary UI.

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to see displayed the fuel efficiency I achieved since my last fill in litres/100ks – localized for my preference – so that I can see how efficiently or otherwise my bike is consuming fuel

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to see displayed the calculated range of my motorcycle based on my last fuel efficiency calculation so that I can determine if I will be able to make it to my next destination where fuel is available safely (using last calculated instead of average over time is important here – average will give false indication on critical range calculations – mostly due to fuel quality and terrain type reasons).

Use Case Definitions (Should have):

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to enter the distance to my next destination where fuel is available so that the app can highlight if I am likely to make it safely

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to view a log of all refills as a table so that I can do a quick comparison on how my fuel efficiency is trending to be able to see emergent problems (fuel quality is highly variable and crap fuel has forced me to do a carby tear down in the middle of nowhere more than once).

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to do CRUD operations against the logged history so that I can correct any errors in my history log that may skew the average calculations

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to view the efficiency and calculated range of my motorcycle based on the historical average so that I can gauge at the end of my trip meaningful data to be used in planning future trips

Use Case Definitions (Could have):

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to link my fuel range calculation with the mapping application so that I can determine my range without having to manually enter the distance to next

* As a remote area motorcycle traveler I want to be able to download my historical log so that I can import into other software packages when I get home

Use Case Definitions (Wont have):

* There will be no cost tracking functions (in remote areas it’s completely irrelevant)

* There will be no link with mapped POIs where fuel is highlighted (these are highly unreliable in the outback and outright dangerous to rely on – local knowledge is the only data point that can be trusted)

* There will be no distance to empty function – I had this feature on my home built one initially but removed it – once you are approaching halfway to where you are going you know if you are going to make it (something you learn the hard way). If you are in trouble you know it already and being reminded continually is not helpful.

Hopefully this feature would be useful overall – but I do appreciate that long distance remote travel with unreliable fuel sources is a pretty specific problem to my part of the world. But It would be great to see planned into the App.

Or you could open source it and I can contribute it myself 🙂

Thanks!

John

Severian
    Participant

Hopefully this feature would be useful overall – but I do appreciate that long distance remote travel with unreliable fuel sources is a pretty specific problem to my part of the world

Well.. just to back you up. I traveled A LOT in central Asia (and further…) – this feature(s) would be extremely helpful overall indeed, maybe even the most critical thing out there are fuel calculations. Even in TET trails now days this is very useful set of functionalities, since we’re constantly calculating where to exit the trail and refill and where we don’t have to.

Would be nice to have… And very well described, if I may add.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.