Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jerome2710
    Participant

If riding a GS(A), could you share your setup?

I am looking into getting the 6″ phone or 8″ tablet and would like to see how it looks. The tablet seems nice, but it might be a bit too big and obscuring the TFT?

Severian
    Participant

In my case (GSA) 8″ was too big. On the other hand, ca. 6.7″ phone is perfect.

I am using Carpe iter bmw controller. Although it is not perfect integration with DMD2, due to non resolved issues between two companies (real shame!), it is MUCH better solution (in my opinion) than  wonderlinq (too bulky).

I am using Oukitel wp23 phone, although thera are better solutions. Not for the price, though. It is less than 150e, which is important in my case, ’cause I use DMD2 for enduro and hard enduro riding (on other bikes), hence it is important to me to have very inexpensive hw, in case I brake it (and I do 🙂 ).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Severian.
    jerome2710
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Did you actually try the 8″ or did you figure it would be too big / not inexpensive for you?

Although I do like the 8″ more, with extra information being displayed, I am hesitant if it will not block the TFT or protrude the top of my visor;

Luckily the tablet holder is edgeless, unlike the ConnectedRide cradle. But I’m not fully convinced in buying it, as I feel like it’s quite a gamble.

Kinouille
    Participant

Hi Severian,

I was planning on getting the BMW GS controller as I want to be able to use the wheel and an extra set of controller while offroad… So what they have, on paper, sounds perfect.

Would you mind elaborating on the issues that are happening between the controllers and DMD2? I’ll be mostly using the controllers with DMD2 so now you got me worried a bit. The wunderlinq sounds like a good alternative but I find unfortunately a bit too pricy and I don’t need to get all the bike info it would display. I just want to be able to control my T865.

Thanks.

Severian
    Participant

Currently, Carpe iter BMW control works almost good with DMD2.

Why almost? Well, there is no “cancel” button. This is, for instance, important in map view (no way to unlock screen via remote, if you lock it automatically). Everything else is ok, at least in this basic remote mode. Including, suppressing of Carpe’s HUD (I really do not like it!!). But, if you do – it is ok, too. In every other nav app profile (other than dmd2) HUD is present and operational. I think  this is perfect for everyone. For us using dmd2 95% of the time and for others, using it in addition to more traditional nav apps.

There are no real reason for not to have bike date via Carpe’s bmw control, too. Other than mutual misunderstandings between two companies. Frankly, I don’t care who is to blame, not a realm of my interests, but I can say that this is a real shame for us, users. BMW control us MUCH neater solution than Wunderlinq. Latter is to bulky, to pricy and, in my opinion, potentially unstable (you link your bulky device to wunderlinq, which links to garmin stand, which links to 12mm bar => problems ahead everywhere outside good tarmac!). BMW control is little box, that you tuck out of the way and then you link directly to 12mm bar. WUnderlinq is, again only in my opinion which probably is not true (!),  one of those things that sounds like a good idea, but creates more problems than it solves…

Please note that I am not in any way linked to Carpe iter or DMD2, I am only the user which use these tools on 3 different bikes… and looks for unicorns :), meaning perfect solutions that don’t exist in reality 🙂

Severian
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Did you actually try the 8″ or did you figure it would be too big / not inexpensive for you?

Yes, I did. I tried Oukitel RT3 (8″). It is also very cheap, so price wasn’t deal breaker. It was way too big for me, cluttering my clear view to instrument cluster and to road, too. Please note that this is only one guy’s opinion and try for yourself. Either borrow one 8″ device, or simply make paper template in real dimensions.

Kinouille
    Participant

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I don’t know what the HUD is or how it works. All I want is be able to control things via the DMD2 app like change songs (via Spotify widget), pages, zoom in-out, go North/track up and left-right-up-down… As long as this works well I’m happy. I would mostly use DMD2 for offroading or regular road if I know the way, otherwise I use Waze/Google map.

I’ll be getting the T865 shortly, I would have used everything DMD like controllers but as I said, not a fan of wunderlinq and the other DMD remotes seems a bit hard to put on the 1250GSA without making it look even more like a fighter jet flight deck 😂. I like the idea of using the OEM wheel and put the other controller on the already empty handlebar area.

Severian
    Participant

As I explained, “cancel” button/function is missing (in DMD2) using BMW control, so you will experience some frustrating issues, from time to time.

Having said that and knowing all that prior to purchase, I still chose BMW control over Wunderlinq.

jerome2710
    Participant

After lots of doubts, I went for the DMD-T665. It fits nicely below the windscreen and not too big. It looks much cleaner than the original BMW ConnectedRide cradle. Not a great fan of the AMPS clamp, but let’s see how it turns out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.