Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dumpweed1
    Participant

I can’t find an Odometer feature anywhere and would have sworn I saw that on an older YouTube demo. Was hoping to replace my analog speedometer/odometer with the DMD2 as the odometer is the only reason the old analog speedometer is still on the bike.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Dumpweed1.
    navnerd
    Participant

An Odometer is still available, but you have to configure it:

In the Home view, select the gear wheel in the upper middle. Then select “Trip Statistics” (in the German version at least it’s called “Trip Statistiken”). You can put it in the windows left or right as well as directly above the different DMD view buttons so that you can see it allways (my favorite position).

However, it may be that you want a “pure” odometer in the sense of a second trip counter. That is a good enhancement! I just filed this as an enhancement request:

Feel free to comment positively if this is what you needed.

If you need a second trip counter just for estimating remaining fuel, you may use as workaround the fuel settings of the OBD sensors view. If your ECU does not report the remaining fuel, you may simply enter an average distance you can drive with one fuel charge (under OBD sensors view settings). The remaining range can also be shown in the home or map view, you do not need the OBD sensors view for it.

Dumpweed1
    Participant

Hi,

Yes – it is a true odometer feature I was looking for. I had found the trip meter and got that setup. This is for a DR650 so no OBD on the bike. Trying to replace the old analog speedo.

I also posted in the Facebook DMD2 group and reposted a photo someone else had from a prior DMD2 version showing on the middle section of the home page: a speedometer at top and below it both an odometer and trip mileage.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Dumpweed1.
    navnerd
    Participant

Hi,

I just checked my old apks and the last version which offered the odometer feature you are looking for was DMD2 v 2.77. The total km-counter is already there on the home screen directly after installing, you don’t have to configure it. Unfortunately, this DMD2 version still has the older UI and does not offer any navigation functionality. However, if you would like to have the apk for installation on your android device, just send a link where I can upload the apk to (size is 43.28 MB).

Beside that, I’m not sure if I would throw away the existing odometer and replace it by a pure GPS counter. Acc. to my experience, it is not robust enough and may miss some distance – or add (sometimes hundreds) of invented km due to an inaccurate fix.

Regarding the missing OBD on your DR650: That doesn’t matter regarding the fuel meter. Go to the OBD view in DMD2 and adjust in the settings the fuel meter by entering the average milage you can drive with a full tank. You should be able to use the fuel OBD sensor on the map and home views even though you have no OBD dongle mounted and  even though you have the OBD view disabled. I think just for resetting the fuel meter, you will have to activate the OBD view shortly. Just try. It’s at least a workaround. I use the fuel meter in the same way on my old GS, where the ECU does not report the fuel level via the OBD interface. That works fine.

Dumpweed1
    Participant

I should have mentioned I’m using the new DMD-T865 as the tablet hoping to eliminate a separate garmin unit as well as getting rid of the analog speedo and needing my iPhone on dash as well for other stuff

I think a gps odometer for my purposes would be accurate enough. For example, in Jan I am going to Mexico and Central America for two months, and want to track overall mileage (for maintenance) as well as daily trip (for gas consumption).

On the maintenance schedule, prior to the next trip in the summer, I will do a lot of maintenance pre-trip even if early for the convenience of hopefully not needing to do while on the road but want to know where I am at on each trip as miles add up.

For gas consumption, I have a transparent Safari tank so I have a visual on gas level. So, mostly just looking for convenience of two separate trip meters while on long trips but could just not reset trip meter daily and use as a true “trip meter” and mentally track daily miles.

I’ll try and look at the OBD fuel function you mentioned. I was thinking the OBD functions only worked if the T865 could pull one of the formula’s variables from a bike with an ECU like my other bike has. It may be at the end of the day I just need to keep the speedo. I was just hoping to consolidate the garmin, speedo, etc and I do have an iPhone as backup redundancy if the T865 fails on a trip. The DR650 OEM Speedo is just really unnecessary for me other than the odometer as gps speed is good enough and it doesn’t have a tach.

Thanks again

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Dumpweed1.
    navnerd
    Participant

FYI: In 3.00018 released today, a new odometer is available which can be configured in the homeview. Dumpweed1, should be exactly what you are looking for! 🙂

Dumpweed1
    Participant

I’m hoping so. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that pop up. Haven’t had a chance to mess with it yet so couldn’t tell if this was an OBD option or worked like I was hoping as sort of a cumulative trip meter based on gps miles like the current trip meter.  I have a Norden 901 with ODB Scan 1 but the old DR650 is less complicated than your average lawnmower so no OBD data.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.