Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    navnerd
    Participant

I have just published the entry #3932 in [App Section] OBD2 view (also quoted below).

The problem/bug is the bluetooth reconnection stability after stopping and starting the engine again – like written in the quoted entry below, this problem only appears in the bluetooth connection between the LX dongle and DMD2; it does not appear if the LX dongle is connected to the OBDLink app, that’s why I think the problem must be within DMD2. Pulling the dongle off after each engine restart is a very annoying issue… 🙁

Used Smartphone: Blackview BV9800 Pro with Android 9

John, if you look for the root cause: There is an Android app called “MotoScan” with is developed by WGSoft.de. It reads out data for all BMW motorcycles not only over the OBD2 interface, but especially over BMW’s own interface. Like the OBDLink App, it seems to run very stable and reliable (I own a full license for maintenance purposes). It may be they have faced and solved OBD2 bluetooth connection problems, too. And they recommend to use the green OBDlink LX dongle! May be it’s worth to contact them just if the issue is difficult to fix – they might be able to give ideas where such problems come from.

entry #3932 in [App Section] OBD2 view:

“I have tested a BMW R1200 GS ADV model year 2007 (so the old air/oil cooled model). The used OBD2-dongle is OBDLink LX (the green one). The  following data is provided over the BMW’s OBD2 interface of that model year (I have tested that with their own software called “OBDlink”- note other BMW models or model years may not provide any data via the OBD2 interface!):

Vehicle speed, engine speed (RPM), coolant (=oil) temperature, intake air temperature, throttle position, ignition timing advance, battery voltage (just read out from the OBD dongle!). No fuel level is provided by the BMW OBD2 interface, even though the motorcycle’s cockpit itself provides this value.

In DMD2, I have configured and tested the OBD dashboard with the following quantities:

motorcycle speed, coolant temperature, intake air temperature, engine RPM, voltage or throttle position (both works), and fuel level – but this just with the DMD2 functionality of entering an estimated average range and counting that down by the GPS milage you drive. Note the motorcycle’s OBD2 interface does not support a direct read out from the fuel sensor in the fuel tank.

When connecting the OBD dongle via bluetooth to DMD2 at the start of te trip, all works fine and stable. The problem comes if you stop the engine by switching off the ignition. Then, the communication between DMD2 (3.00032, but similar in much older versions, e.g. 2.xy) and the dongle breaks down and cannot be reliably reestablished after restarting the engine. The only thing that helps is pulling the dongle off the plug and reconnect it :-(. I’ll file a bug report for this, since this problem only appears in combination with the OBDlink LX dongle connected to DMD2. If connected with the native OBDlink Android App, the connection is immediately reestablished when the ignition is on and the engine starts again.”

RH
    Participant

Hello,

Using DMD2 for almost a year and with my new required second hand GS1200 from 2010 i have the same issue.

Is there found a solution  yet and excuses if this is not the appropriate way to ask.

Let me know, i am curious.

Kind regards.

navnerd
    Participant

Hi RH,

at least to my knowledge there is no other reliable solution except of unplugging in replugging the OBD dongle. But what I found out that often seems to work instead of this, is selecting any arbitrary different bluetooth device for connection in the list of known bluetooth devices in the phone/the OBD settings menue. This will force DMD2 to try to connect to something it does not understand. If you select after this unsuccessful connection attempt the OBD dongle in the list again, it often connects without the need to un- and replug the dongle. Just give it a try.

Hopefully in some time John will find a solution for the DMD code that this becomes unnecessary.

Hope it helps!

RH
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for the tip i will try that on occasion when it occurs. I know when every different motorcycle has a little glitch its often not so easy to find. Hopefully John can and this one disappears.

Kind regards,

René H.

navnerd
    Participant

…may be the tip will result in a new button in [App Section] OBD view “Reset bluetooth OBD connection” or so, that does this automatically…

John, an option?

RH
    Participant

It looks like DMD2 stil has a connection, there is no color change in the bluetooth icon. The communication however has stopped. Hopefully this tip helps a bit.

Kind regards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.