Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    João Pereira
    Keymaster

Samsung S22 Ultra Testing Two:

DMD in Portrait Mode
    Recording
    Took a call
    Accepted it and call app took full screen
    DMD2 recorded in background but pauses as soon as screen is off
    DMD2 recorder resumes as soon as screen is back on
    This is expected behaviour and no crash just the straight line while i was on the call with screen off

DMD2 Project Manager & Lead Developer
    Buy Me a Coffee

João Pereira
    Keymaster

Samsung S22 Ultra Testing Three:

DMD in Portrait Mode
    Recording
    Took a call
    Accepted it and call app took full screen
    DMD2 recorded in background but pauses as soon as screen is off -> i covered the sensor back and forth to force the screen on/off multiple times (like when it sometimes happens when its in your face) -> did not cause any crash
    DMD2 recorder resumes as soon as screen is back on
    This is expected behaviour and no crash just the straight line while i was on the call with screen off

Buy Me a Coffee

João Pereira
    Keymaster

Samsung S22 Ultra Testing Four:

DMD with lock rotation to Landscape
    Recording
    Took a call
    Accepted it and call app took full screen -> flipping the screen back to portrait
    — BIG BUG HERE — when going back to DMD2 on the Samsung the location service was dead
    Plus found other issues that where crashing Location Service, all caused by orientation lock option in DMD2.
    All Fixed and will release with today update -> Please report back after you update to 3.00017 (not released yet)

Buy Me a Coffee

navnerd
    Participant

Hi John,

seems you found the root cause since I used DMD2 with lock rotation to landscape (tablet reversed) and I also had problems with the location service. Did you already change something else in 3.00016 (may be it was still on 3.00015)? I did a test on the Galaxy Note 20 with starting several apps during DMD2 was recording in the background with screen on and fortunately the app continued recording, no strait lines in the GPX recording file or crashes like in previous releases (but it may be that these have been apps that supported landscape mode or I had automatic rotation enabled in the phone settings, unlike in previous tests with the phone app, even though the phone is mounted in landscape orientation).

I also did a first (not complete) test with the Blackview BV 9800 Pro (Android 9) and there I could not find similar problems like with the Samsung, but I will continue again when you release 3.00017. Might still need some time.

However, do you have any solution for the problem with the GPXfile recording stop when the phone app switches the screen off (even if this is intended behaviour)? It already happened to me hat I lost a long part of a GPX recording since I had a longer call during the trip. Is there any Samsung setting that suppresses this? As mentioned, setting the screen timeout to 10 minutes did not help. GPX file recording should never stop until I pause or switch the recording off manually!

And I hope it’s not too annoying if I make this request again: Isn’t there a way to optimise DMD2 so that GPX recordings continue to run even if the screen is switched off (it works great in DMD1, so why not in DMD2)? May be the GPX file recording can become a separate process with allowing setting the location service to always? The connection of the GPX recording on/off with screen on/off is a severe limitation at east for my typical usage behavior, and if friends ask me what I think about the program I have to say that this really is a limiting issue. Of course there are the workarounds with using other apps (like DMD1), but that’s not very comfortable.

Best (and a Merry Christmas)!

João Pereira
    Keymaster

Hi John, seems you found the root cause since I used DMD2 with lock rotation to landscape (tablet reversed) and I also had problems with the location service. Did you already change something else in 3.00016 (may be it was still on 3.00015)? I did a test on the Galaxy Note 20 with starting several apps during DMD2 was recording in the background with screen on and fortunately the app continued recording, no strait lines in the GPX recording file or crashes like in previous releases (but it may be that these have been apps that supported landscape mode or I had automatic rotation enabled in the phone settings, unlike in previous tests with the phone app, even though the phone is mounted in landscape orientation). I also did a first (not complete) test with the Blackview BV 9800 Pro (Android 9) and there I could not find similar problems like with the Samsung, but I will continue again when you release 3.00017. Might still need some time. However, do you have any solution for the problem with the GPXfile recording stop when the phone app switches the screen off (even if this is intended behaviour)? It already happened to me hat I lost a long part of a GPX recording since I had a longer call during the trip. Is there any Samsung setting that suppresses this? As mentioned, setting the screen timeout to 10 minutes did not help. GPX file recording should never stop until I pause or switch the recording off manually! And I hope it’s not too annoying if I make this request again: Isn’t there a way to optimise DMD2 so that GPX recordings continue to run even if the screen is switched off (it works great in DMD1, so why not in DMD2)? May be the GPX file recording can become a separate process with allowing setting the location service to always? The connection of the GPX recording on/off with screen on/off is a severe limitation at east for my typical usage behavior, and if friends ask me what I think about the program I have to say that this really is a limiting issue. Of course there are the workarounds with using other apps (like DMD1), but that’s not very comfortable. Best (and a Merry Christmas)!

Latest fixes are on version 3.00017
    I will remove the screen off – location off thing… its actually just a comment on a single line.
    I just hope people understand that A LOT OF DEVICES will eventually kill the recording if you keep the screen off for too long, thats just how most Android devices are, even if you set functions for “Allow Location in background” and you remove battery limitations, that will never be a reliable way of recording a GPX.

Buy Me a Coffee

navnerd
    Participant

Hi John,

thanks a lot for allowing GPX recording with screen off again! It seems that 3.00018 which I installed a minute ago still does not offer to set location service to always. Please let us know when it will be available. When available, I’ll report here how long and how stable GPX recording runs with my devices with screen off, may be useful for other Samsung phone users.

I tested 3.00017 today and it really ran much more stable during GPX recoding: Independently which other app I used, the location service kept running and the GPX file recording was continuous, also it seemed indepently from screen orientation settings (but my test was not fully systematic, just some exemplary settings). Two exceptions: When the screen switched off during a phone call, the GPX recorder stopped recording. The same happened when I intentionally switched off the screen during driving & recording (but I think in 3.00017 this is still according to spec). What happened again (I think after the phone call) was that the enter button of the Carpe CI controller lost part of its functionality, but after leaving DMD2 and restarting it worked fine again.

And surprisingly in 3.00017 the automatic tilting mode for orientation in driving direction was broken: Although the alignment was in the direction of travel, there was no tilting.

And it seemes you did some changes when repeatingly hitting enter of the controller in map view. North above orientation without centering was lost, with the controller you could just switch between north above centered and orientation in driving direction (but north above without centering still works when pressing the icon on the screen). And with routing and/or GPX file “playback” a new view with the total trip appeared (very nice!).

A final wish from my side: If you drop a new release in the play store, could you add a short list of all changes/new functions/fixes you did? Helps a lot during testing and identifying, what is may be just a bug and what is intended functionality!

And thanks for the new odometer in 3.00018!!! Just configured it (I wouldn’t have noticed it if you didn’t write it in the release notes!).

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.