Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gregor
    Participant

Hi, I am using the Garmin Tread Overland 8″ with a DMD2-license on a R1250GS and it works pretty well. Nice peace of software- well done! However, the Garmin  software uses the SD card (256 GB) for the maps without any issue, but how can I make use of the SD-card for DMD2? The card was formatted in the Garmin device and seems to work properly for any other app but DMD2. I am using the latest DMD2 version (3.00044). I can’t find any settings to force DMD2 installing the maps onto the SD card. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

João Pereira
    Keymaster

Hello
    We do not have SD Card option for the Garmin, yet, we have it planned and i hope we can do this soon.

DMD2 Project Manager & Lead Developer
    Buy Me a Coffee

jack klauschie
    Participant

Curious to know why you are using the Garmin Tread GPS and this program. I just was exposed to the Tread Routing App on an iPhone and was very impressed.

Can you do routing in the DMD2 App?

Gregor
    Participant

Hello Jack

Yes, if you plan a route on the DMD2 you will be routed, but to be honest the routing on Garmin works much better and the calculation is much faster than on the DMD2. But that’s not the reason why I still prefer to use DMD2.

DMD2 focuses on off-road riding and also offers an easy way to get to the starting point of your GPX track (admittedly less well than with Garmin or Google Maps).

Advantages from my point of view:
    DMD2 has a more pleasant interface for my purposes.
    I really appreciate that I can control DMD2 with my handlebar controller while riding.
    I like the ability to show OBD2 data on my display.

The advantages of DMD2 over a pure Garmin solution were so great for me that I sold the Garmin Tread Overland and have been riding with the T865 ever since. The system is much more flexible and I can use almost all Android apps.

jack klauschie
    Participant

Thanks for the information. The dash on my ’14 GS is unreadable most of the time. Whoever decided black lettering on a dark gray background was a good idea never rode a MC during the day. To address this issue, I recently bought a Wunderlinq for my GS and it will mount where the Nav 5 currently is. The Wunderlinq communicates to a display via WiFi. I will be using an Android tablet as a display. The tablet with the Wunderlinq will allow me to view all operating data on the tablet and I can scroll through the data via the Wonder Wheel. Once I do this, I need a navigation option. I prefer a GPS because I ride in areas with no cell coverage frequently. The DMD2 interface seems like a good way to incorporate key operating data and navigation on the tablet. Can you get just the App? If yes, will it do this?  What map and routing program are you using? I’m in California and ride there mostly, but also west of the Continental Divide if you have a suggestion. Best, Jack

Gregor
    Participant

Hello Jack

You can install DMD2 on almost any Android tablet (with or without Google Playstore). You only need to buy a license for the maps and you can also buy a license for the OBD2 interface and/or the roadbook module.
    I use DMD2 with the maps and the OBD2 interface, together with a handlebar controller from Silverfox (H1) and my own 3D-printed holder on a ’23 R1250GS. I don’t know how well DMD2 works with Wunderlinq, but I think it only works with restrictions, if at all. Since you install the maps for DMD2 locally on the device, you have a complete offline solution and do not need internet access for navigation. Since you can also install any Android navigation solution, you are very flexible here. In addition to offline maps from Google Maps, I have also installed Caliomoto with offline maps. However, you can also use any other navigation solution with an offline option. For me, an additional GPS solution no longer made sense, so I now only use the T865 tablet with DMD2.

I’m here in the Zurich, Switzerland area, but I’ve been to California a few times with four-wheel drive cars. There are lots of cool off-road routes there 😉 Best, Gregor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.