Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    toramorgan
    Participant

Hi,

I’m considering a Garmin Tread 8″ (Overland / SxS) to use it often with the DMD2 (roadbook, …) and OBD apps (701 Enduro 2023 ) .

Does anyone have experience with Tread 8″ and DMD2/OBD? Do these apps work correctly in this device?

Is the Tread 8″ worth the investment?

Sorry I’ve not been able to find info in the forum.  Any link or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by toramorgan.
    John DEV
    Keymaster

Hi, I’m considering a Garmin Tread 8″ (Overland / SxS) to use it often with the DMD2 (roadbook, …) and OBD apps (701 Enduro 2023 ) . Does anyone have experience with Tread 8″ and DMD2/OBD? Do these apps work correctly in this device? Is the Tread 8″ worth the investment? Sorry I’ve not been able to find info in the forum. Any link or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DMD2 is tested and works with the Tread, everything works, the controller works, OBD2 dongles like the OBLink LX work, all good.

The only thing you need to consider is in the case you want to install other apps, remember that the Tread does not have Google Play Store, so a lot of apps wont work, you wont be able to buy them and anything that requires google play services will not work.

As for hardware the Tread is indeed a very well built piece of hardware with extremely fast specs.

DMD2 Project Manager & Lead Developer
    Contribute to DMD2 Translations | Buy Me a Coffee

toramorgan
    Participant

Thanks John. I’m used to Garmin devices and overall I like them. I understand that a lot of things have changed with Tread devices (no Basecamp kind of worries me), but I hope that these changes are for the better.

I only have one Android device that I barely use (obd) so I don’t have many Android apps that I can benefit from. But using a roadbook app in a Garmin device, for instance, has (sometimes) advantages over a physical roadbook holder while maintaining Garmin navigation features. I assume that I will be able to install some apps even without Google Play so I can give Carpe controls/switches and DMD2 app a broader use. Is this correct?

I think that Garmin + DMD2 + OBD and Carpe Controller can really work for me. I don’t want to be wrong because Tread devices are not cheap.

Thanks again!

toramorgan
    Participant

Which controller do you recommend for a Garmin Tread + DMD2 ? Adventure Control or Terrain Command Gen2? I’ll frequently use it offroad and with the roadbook app.

Is a new generation coming up soon?

Regarding OBD2 dongles, what’s is the best choice for a 2023 Husqvarna 701/TREAD/DM2/OBD2 license? OBDlink LX 427201?

Would that OBD dongle also work in a BMW GS1200 LC 2016?

Thanks!

John DEV
    Keymaster

Which controller do you recommend for a Garmin Tread + DMD2 ? Adventure Control or Terrain Command Gen2? I’ll frequently use it offroad and with the roadbook app. Is a new generation coming up soon? Regarding OBD2 dongles, what’s is the best choice for a 2023 Husqvarna 701/TREAD/DM2/OBD2 license? OBDlink LX 427201? Would that OBD dongle also work in a BMW GS1200 LC 2016? Thanks!

I like the Adventure Controller the most at the moment. For the Husky def. get the OBDLink LX is what we use to develop and test.
    As for the GS I dont think back in 2016 they were OBD2, it will not work unfortunaly.

Thanks John. I’m used to Garmin devices and overall I like them. I understand that a lot of things have changed with Tread devices (no Basecamp kind of worries me), but I hope that these changes are for the better. I only have one Android device that I barely use (obd) so I don’t have many Android apps that I can benefit from. But using a roadbook app in a Garmin device, for instance, has (sometimes) advantages over a physical roadbook holder while maintaining Garmin navigation features. I assume that I will be able to install some apps even without Google Play so I can give Carpe controls/switches and DMD2 app a broader use. Is this correct? I think that Garmin + DMD2 + OBD and Carpe Controller can really work for me. I don’t want to be wrong because Tread devices are not cheap. Thanks again!

What people usually do is just install a Google Play Store alternative like F-Droid… and then you will have a store to install apps and keep them updated. I know some apps do require google play services (those will not work) but many do not and those will work just fine.

DMD2 Project Manager & Lead Developer
    Contribute to DMD2 Translations | Buy Me a Coffee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.