Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pcfly
    Participant

Hello all,

Looking for some help. I have a 2020 KTM 500EXC-F, Garmin Tread Overland 8″, purchased the correct dongle, connected (blue toothed) the OBD2 M1 to the Garmin Tread, and the screen has the “blue” bluetooth indication that its connected to the DMD…….BUT nothing happens with the bike running?! No RPM indication, no coolant….ironically only voltage yet it’s 14.1 verse my Trail Tech Voyager 13.9?? I’m not sure what else I need to do or what I’m doing wrong to get this thing to work? It’s driving me a bit bonkers! Help please……thank you.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Pcfly.
    • This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Pcfly.
    João Pereira
    Keymaster

Hello

Either the Diag Cable is not the correct one or the bike does not output OBD2 standard data.
    Have you tested with other apps like TORQUE app?

DMD2 Project Manager & Lead Developer
    Buy Me a Coffee

Pcfly
    Participant

Thank you for getting back to me. What is the TORQUE app, is it a specific DMD product?

Derek P Thomas
    Participant

PCFly, I have the exact same issue.  I have a Husqvarna FE 501 S, purchased the OBD2 cable from Thork Racing (US version), use the OBDLink MX+.  I also get a blue indication and also get a voltage reading of 14.2v.  Were you able to find a resolution?  Oh, I should add that I run an Athena GET ECU…do you also run that aftermarket ECU?

Derek P Thomas
    Participant

Pcfly, I now see from the photo you posted, it appears as though you might also have an Athena GET ECU RX1 Pro like I do.  Just FYI, I disconnected the WIFI Module to see whether that would somehow allow data to flow to the DMD2 app but it did not work.  I do wonder whether custom PID’s could be added to DMD2 to reach into the GET ECU and pull the required data.  I don’t know at all yet, but suspect the data is available, just contained in different PID’s.  I sent an email to Athena to see if they would be able to send me a full list of PID’s.  Fingers crossed.

Pcfly
    Participant

PCFly, I have the exact same issue. I have a Husqvarna FE 501 S, purchased the OBD2 cable from Thork Racing (US version), use the OBDLink MX+. I also get a blue indication and also get a voltage reading of 14.2v. Were you able to find a resolution? Oh, I should add that I run an Athena GET ECU…do you also run that aftermarket ECU?

Hello, so nope, I have sort of shelved the project since it seemed there was no way of getting the “data” out of my ECU (yes, it’s an Athena GET).  I don’t want to go back to a stock ECU since the bike just doesn’t run great with it and in order to get everything, to the best of my knowledge to work correctly, would mean I would need to send my stock ECU to be reprogrammed with the settings I already have in the Athena, to get the dash (DMD) to work correctly.

Pcfly, I now see from the photo you posted, it appears as though you might also have an Athena GET ECU RX1 Pro like I do. Just FYI, I disconnected the WIFI Module to see whether that would somehow allow data to flow to the DMD2 app but it did not work. I do wonder whether custom PID’s could be added to DMD2 to reach into the GET ECU and pull the required data. I don’t know at all yet, but suspect the data is available, just contained in different PID’s. I sent an email to Athena to see if they would be able to send me a full list of PID’s. Fingers crossed.

I will try to disconnect the wifi module and report back. I hope you get some help from GET, seems like it would a common problem since most USA bikes don’t run great with the stock ECU.

Thanks for getting back to me about this, I thought I wasted my time and money on the hopes to get the DMD to work on my 2020 500EXC.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Pcfly.
    Derek P Thomas
    Participant

I heard back from Athena.  They said that the RX1 Pro does not have ODB, so therefore it cannot provide data to OBD scanners or bluetooth adapters.  So DMD2 is not a possibility with this ECU.  I asked whether the SX1 Pro could be used with DMD2 since it does have ODB, but it does not use the required ISO14229 protocol, so it cannot be used with DMD2 either.  The SX1 Pro can provide data to software called Maya or SL1, but this will not help us.  So I give up on displaying ECU data in DMD2.  I am definitely not going back to the stock ECU just so I can show a little data on DMD2, as handy as that would be.

Too bad the TrailTech Voyager Pro is so darned expensive!  It does seem like a good solution for NAV and a little bit of data, and it has buddy tracking, but you and your buddy need to cough up the money.

I think what I will do is stick with DMD2 as I think I like it over all other navigation solutions.  As for communications and rudimentary buddy tracking, I think I will order a couple of BTech GMRS Pro radios with Bluetooth.  They are pretty cheap, they connect to phones/tablets over Bluetooth, can transmit simple text messages over radio, allow communication over potentially many miles, they can send/receive GPS coordinates, they can connect to Sena devices over Bluetooth, can connect to Bluetooth earbuds, and they sell a wireless push-to-talk button that can be attached to the handlebar.  Might be a pretty decent setup and far longer range than Sena devices and the like, though I have not tried it yet.

Pcfly
    Participant

I heard back from Athena. They said that the RX1 Pro does not have ODB, so therefore it cannot provide data to OBD scanners or bluetooth adapters. So DMD2 is not a possibility with this ECU. I asked whether the SX1 Pro could be used with DMD2 since it does have ODB, but it does not use the required ISO14229 protocol, so it cannot be used with DMD2 either. The SX1 Pro can provide data to software called Maya or SL1, but this will not help us. So I give up on displaying ECU data in DMD2. I am definitely not going back to the stock ECU just so I can show a little data on DMD2, as handy as that would be. Too bad the TrailTech Voyager Pro is so darned expensive! It does seem like a good solution for NAV and a little bit of data, and it has buddy tracking, but you and your buddy need to cough up the money. I think what I will do is stick with DMD2 as I think I like it over all other navigation solutions. As for communications and rudimentary buddy tracking, I think I will order a couple of BTech GMRS Pro radios with Bluetooth. They are pretty cheap, they connect to phones/tablets over Bluetooth, can transmit simple text messages over radio, allow communication over potentially many miles, they can send/receive GPS coordinates, they can connect to Sena devices over Bluetooth, can connect to Bluetooth earbuds, and they sell a wireless push-to-talk button that can be attached to the handlebar. Might be a pretty decent setup and far longer range than Sena devices and the like, though I have not tried it yet.

I already have the B-tech, It’s not the comms I’m looking for.

So to go over this one last time…. The only way (in this situation) to get the DMD to work is to put back the stock ECU if able (or have the ECU reflashed if I want the bike run correctly) then theoretically with the dongle I have, everything should display correctly on the DMD?!

Derek P Thomas
    Participant

So I am told.  Not happy about it, but not so unhappy that I will give up the performance gain of the GET ECU to get data into DMD2.  I do not remember the details, but at some point KTM made the ECU’s unflashable, so please check to see if your ECU can be flashed.

Pcfly
    Participant

My ECU is not flushable unless though KTM.  In the USA, KTM’s are so lean that the exhausts will melt the plastic shrouds if run long enough, I’ve seen it happen on Hsuky’s and KTM’s first hand, even with the end cap uncorked. Basically there is no way I’m going back to a stock ECU just to get my dashboard (DMD) working.  I don’t know another ECU option on the market?! I recently tried calling Best Dual Sport Bikes to ask them about getting readings off his ECU and the owner basically hung up the phone on me mid sentence. Not sure what to do at this point? Dead End. Bummer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.